Turnip Green Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 ham bone
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 cup dried black-eyed peas
- 64 ounces low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 pound fresh turnip greens, thick stems removed and cut into strips
- 1 tablespoon vinegar pepper sauce, plus more for serving
- Salt, if needed
- Heat olive oil in a 7-quart dutch oven or soup pot over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and translucent (about 5 minutes).
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add ham bone, corn, black-eyed peans, broth and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Add turnip greens and increase the heat to high. The greens will wilt as it comes to a boil. Stir or toss occasionally to combine ingredients while it is coming to a boil.
- Once it reaches a boil, stir in pepper sauce and reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and cook for 2½ to 3 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Serve with additional pepper sauce if desired.